Art Along the Lake: Spring
May 26 – May 28, 2017
This family friendly event includes activities at different galleries around Cook County, such as a Bronze Pour, painting demonstrations and a pop-up exhibit.
Grand Marais Arts Festival
July 8 – 9, 2017
Art Along the Lake: Fall Studio Tour
September 29 – October 8, 2017
Artist studio tours and gallery activities featuring a variety of unique handcrafted works created in Cook County.
List of participating artists and more information coming soon!
And there is more to explore!
The incredible visual landscape in Cook County, Minnesota nourishes the vibrant Ojibwa culture of Grand Portage; inspires the arts for which Grand Marais and the rest of Cook County are renowned; lends a dramatic stage to the lively winter music scene in Lutsen-Tofte-Schroeder; and connects our past and our present just as the Gunflint Trail connects the North Shore of Lake Superior to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness/BWCAW.
Typically, the history of a region is reserved for museums and history books. That’s not the case in Cook County. Here, our history is alive, well and present to this very day.
Perhaps that’s why the historic hubs of trading and pioneer life are now vibrant centers of commerce, art and recreation. And why our museums are often just steps away from breathtaking lakes, waterfalls, mountains, Lake Superior vistas, and miles of hiking trails.
Here are some ways to feed your own sense of inspiration and connection:
- Drive the Gunflint Trail Scenic Byway
- Take the Cook County, Minnesota historical tour: VisitCookCountyHistoricalMap.pdf
- Visit Grand Portage National Monument and Grand Portage State Park
- During the second full weekend in August, celebrate the rich heritage of the Grand Portage community with Rendezvous Days and the Rendezvous Powwow
- Take a class at North House Folk School or the Grand Marais Art Colony
- Attend a play or musical at the Grand Marais Playhouse or festival or other arts and music event
- Enjoy a live performance at the Arrowhead Center for the Arts
- Find more inspiration in the weekly arts blog by Joan Farnam: NorthShoreArtScene.com
We hope you find your muse in the beauty, culture and history of Cook County.