Annual activities in galleries on Memorial Weekend!
Our colors are bright and our roots run deep—and we’re not talking about trees.
Savor the vibrant art scene nestled by the blue waters of Lake Superior.
- Murals – indoors and outdoors
- Sculptures – in public buildings, parks and galleries
- Art Collections – many public buildings house historic and contemporary works
- Listen to music
- Go to the theater
- Enjoy great food, craft beverages and handmade sweets
- Tune in to WTIP Community Radio
- Engage you creative spirit with hands-on activities, a class, or watching a master artisan at work
- Celebrate unique festivals and cultural events
Galleries are open extended hours on Memorial Weekend, meet artists, engage your creative spirit. See the 2016 Weekend Activity Schedule on our Event Calendar!
And there is more to explore during your weekend!
The incredible visual landscape in Cook County, Minnesota nourishes the vibrant Ojibwa culture of Grand Portage; inspires the arts for which Grand Marais and the rest of Cook County are renowned; lends a dramatic stage to the lively winter music scene in Lutsen-Tofte-Schroeder; and connects our past and our present just as the Gunflint Trail connects the North Shore of Lake Superior to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness/BWCAW.
Typically, the history of a region is reserved for museums and history books. That’s not the case in Cook County. Here, our history is alive, well and present to this very day.
Perhaps that’s why the historic hubs of trading and pioneer life are now vibrant centers of commerce, art and recreation. And why our museums are often just steps away from breathtaking lakes, waterfalls, mountains, Lake Superior vistas, and miles of hiking trails.
Here are some ways to feed your own sense of inspiration and connection:
- Drive the Gunflint Trail Scenic Byway
- Take the Cook County, Minnesota historical tour: VisitCookCountyHistoricalMap.pdf
- Visit Grand Portage National Monument and Grand Portage State Park
- During the second full weekend in August, celebrate the rich heritage of the Grand Portage community with Rendezvous Days and the Rendezvous Powwow
- Take a class at North House Folk School or the Grand Marais Art Colony
- Attend a play or musical at the Grand Marais Playhouse or festival or other arts and music event
- Enjoy a live performance at the Arrowhead Center for the Arts
- Find more inspiration in the weekly arts blog by Joan Farnam: NorthShoreArtScene.com