Dogsleds were the original snowmobiles, transporting people across the snow-frosted forests and ice-kissed lakes of the north. Mix irresistible dogs with beautiful snow, and you’ve got the recipe for a winter adventure you won’t forget.
Cook County is host to a few dogsled races throughout the year. Check out the 2016 dates!
- Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race | January 8 – 10, 2016
- A 100 mile spectator-friendly starting and finishing at Trail Center on the Gunflint Trail. View a map of the race trail here.
- John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon | Opening Ceremonies are scheduled to be 5:30 p.m. January 30, 2016 | AAD Shrine Building, 5152 Miller Trunk Highway, Hermantown, MN 55811
- Vet Checks are Saturday, January 30, 2016, Location To Be Announced
- Checkpoints in Cook County MN (Sawbill Trail, Devil’s Track Lake, Trail Center on the Gunflint) unless changed due to trail conditions.
- The Mid-Distance Start date will be January 31, 2016 | Finish Date and Location To Be Announced
- The full Marathon Race Finish location is To Be Announced
- When it is completed for 2016 you can download a copy of the race schedule to find the best time to catch a glimpse of the teams. Also, find directions to the check points and finish area.
- Marathon Banquet Brunch – 11:30 a.m. Thursday, February 4, 2016 | AAD Shrine Building in Hermantown
- Mush for a Cure FUNdraiser | Usually happens the first weekend in March, not scheduled for 2015 but may return for 2016.
Watching is fun, but doing is even better!
In Cook County there are several dog mushing companies that will take you out on the adventure of a lifetime. You can opt for a 2-hour, half-day or all-day trip — and maybe even learn to drive your own team.
Gunflint Outfitters- 85 years of creating canoe trip experiences in the BWCA and Quetico. Exclusive 'Camp Chow' foods made locally, plus rustic cabin rentals. Centrally located, with most BWCA entry points within 15 minutes of our base, Royalex and Kevlar canoes, full trip and route planning, overnight accommodations before and after your canoe trip, full meal service, rustic cabin vacations, BWCA permits, fishing licenses, and fishing tackle.
Gunflint Outfitters- 85 years of creating canoe trip experiences in the BWCA and Quetico. Exclusive ...
Points Unknown offers unique, off-grid dog sledding experiences that are educational in nature. Our dogs are highly trained and socialized and are members of our family.
Points Unknown offers unique, off-grid dog sledding experiences that are educational in nature. Our ...
We are your Grand Marais outdoor adventure shop. Visit our store for guided tours, rentals, high quality gear and clothing. Tours: kayaking, paddle boarding, fly fishing, canoeing, ice fishing Rentals: canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, summer and winter camping, back-county and traditional xc skiing, and snowshoeing
We are your Grand Marais outdoor adventure shop. Visit our store for guided tours, rentals, high ...