Dogsleds were the original snowmobiles, transporting people across the snow-frosted forests and ice-kissed lakes of the north. Mix irresistible dogs with beautiful snow, and you’ve got the recipe for a winter adventure you won’t forget.
Cook County is host to a few dogsled races throughout the year. Check out the 2015 dates!
- Gunflint Mail Run Sled Dog Race | 2016 Dates TBD
- A 100 mile spectator-friendly starting and finishing at Trail Center on the Gunflint Trail. View a map of the race trail here.
- John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon | January 23-29, 2015
- Checkpoints in Cook County MN (Sawbill Trail, Devil’s Track Lake, Trail Center on the Gunflint).
- The Mid-Distance Finish will end at Devil’s Track Lake on Monday, January 26 between 11:55am-6:15pm (approx.)
- An all-day celebration will be held at Big Bear Lodge on the Gunflint Trail on Monday, January 26 with live music, food, drink, and a opportunity to meet the mushers.
- The full Marathon Race Finish is on January 28 at Billy’s on Jean in Duluth.
- Download a copy of the 2015 Beargrease Race Times to find the best time to catch a glimpse of the teams. Also, find directions to the Check Points and Finish Line. View a map of the race, here.
- Mush for a Cure FUNdraiser | Usually happens the first weekend in March, not scheduled for 2015 but may return for 2016.
- Mush For a Cure is a non-competitive sled dog FUNdraiser with proceeds donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Watching is fun, but doing is even better!
In Cook County there are several dog mushing companies that will take you out on the adventure of a lifetime. You can opt for a 2-hour, half-day or all-day trip — and maybe even learn to drive your own team. By the end of the excursion, at least one of the dogs will have stolen your heart, that’s a guarantee.
The following businesses offer dogsledding adventures. Call ahead to reserve your spot.
-Grand Marais Sled Dog Adventures
-Irish Creek Kennels 218-370-0882
-Points Unknown Dog-Based Adventures
-Sled Dog Ice Fishing Trips 218-370-8001
-Snowy Ridge Kennels 218-387-1708
-Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply (offering both Dogsled Adventures as well as Skijoring equiptment)
-Stoney Creek Sled Dogs
Viva la dogsled!