Quetico Provincial Park and RABC permits

Quetico Provincial Park and RABC permits

Quetico Provincial Park, often referred to as “the Quetico,” is the Canadian cousin of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness/BWCAW. The two form a vast, contiguous boreal wilderness that straddles the U.S.-Canada border and sprawls over two million acres.

Many Boundary Waters paddlers also venture into the Quetico. You can, too–as long as you plan ahead. One of Cook County’s expert canoe trip outfitters can help.

Quetico Provincial Park reservations and permits
Your outfitter can assist you in securing and paying for Quetico Provincial Park permits. If you wish to make a reservation on your own, see the official Quetico Provincial Park website for fee and permit details.

If you are a U.S. citizen and wish to cross the international border into Ontario, you’ll need a valid passport or approved travel document. Please visit the Homeland Security website for the most current information. You will also need a Remote Border Crossing Permit for each member of your party.

Remote Area Border Crossing Permits (RABC)
If you want to visit Canada at any point during your stay (including canoeing in Quetico Provincial Park or fishing on the Canadian side) a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit is required, since you are not reporting to a port of entry.

There is a per-person fee, renewable annually. The easiest way to obtain the Remote Area Border Crossing Permit application is via the online RABC application.

Follow the instructions, and be sure to allow 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed. Or, if you prefer, an outfitter can mail you the necessary paperwork.