Grand Marais, Minnesota earned high praise from the readers of Lake Superior Magazine and LakeSuperior.com
Seven businesses from the Minnesota North Shore town earned the magazine’s 2015 Best of the Lake honors and the town itself was chosen as a Best Weekend Destination along with Duluth.
Results of a survey of visitors and locals around all four shores of Lake Superior have just been published in the August/September issue, now on the newsstands. The magazine asked for reader choices in 12 categories, with winners chosen for each Lake Superior state and province: Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ontario. More than 650 print magazine readers, website followers and fans of area establishments cast their votes by mail or online. Hotly contested were categories like Best Burger or Best Pizza – and the magazine expects people to continue to weigh in on those top picks.
The Minnesota winners (first and second place) are:
- Best Scenic Overlook: Split Rock Lighthouse and Palisade Head at Tettegouche State Park.
- Best Restaurant/Café: Naniboujou Lodge & Restaurant and Angry Trout Café, both in Grand Marais
- Best Campground: Grand Marais Campground & Marina and Judge C.R. Magney State Park
- Best Pizza: Sven & Ole’s, Grand Marais, and Pizza Lucé, Duluth
- Best Resort/Hotel/Motel: Naniboujou Lodge & Restaurant, Grand Marais, and Inn on Lake Superior, Duluth
- Best Weekend Destination: Grand Marais and Duluth
- Best Park: Gooseberry Falls State Park and Judge C.R. Magney State Park
- Best Farmers Market: Cook County Farm & Craft Market, Grand Marais, and Duluth Farmers Market
- Best Burger: My Sister’s Place, Grand Marais, and Grandma’s Restaurant, Duluth
- Best Place for Local Music: Gun Flint Tavern, Grand Marais, and Bayfront Festival Park, Duluth
- Best Gift Shop: Lake Superior Trading Post and Joynes Ben Franklin, both in Grand Marais
- Best Beach: Park Point, Duluth, and Paradise Beach in rural Cook County
The full list of the 101 winners can also be found online: www.lakesuperior.com/travel/best-of-the-lake-2015
“Our Best of the Lake reflects the choice of people who really have eaten, stayed or enjoyed these locales,” says Lake Superior Magazine Editor Konnie LeMay. “Sometimes the readers surprise even us. It’s great fun every year to see the top choices.”
Best of the Lake voting takes place throughout the year at www.LakeSuperior.com. Winners of the Best of the Lake receive clings and certificates that announce the honor and can often be found on their establishment windows or walls.
Lake Superior Magazine congratulates all of the 2015 winners and thanks all of the voters from around Canada, the United States and the world (the farthest from China).
Now in its 36th year, Lake Superior Magazine is a family-owned publication based in Duluth, Minnesota. Contact: 888-BIG LAKE (888-244-5253) or locally at 218-722-5002. We’re on the web at www.LakeSuperior.com, and find us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
Contact: Editor Konnie LeMay 218-722-5002 / 888-244-5253 email@example.com