FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
North House Folk School deepens engagement while practicing social distancing through “Crafting in Place” live video instruction
Grand Marais, Minn.(April 2, 2020) – While many are struggling to connect with their audiences, North House Folk School is building community by offering complimentary demonstrations and tutorials with instructors online through their “Crafting in Place” video series.
While the campus is temporarily closed and courses cancelled until May 17th due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the staff and instructors sought to find a way to connect with their students and supporters to keep the community campus feel alive and thriving during these challenging and isolating times.
“Building a sense of community is the foundation of our organization” says Greg Wright, Executive Director of North House Folk School. “While we are unable to physically gather, relish the joy of working with our hands and both bake and break bread together at this time, we are able to continue to learn from each other and celebrate the power of community and craft in these challenging times.”
The “Crafting in Place” series began a few weeks ago and is continuing to evolve as instructors step up to offer skills share with the North House audience.
Examples of recent and upcoming sessions:
- March 30: Making Bagels: Three Key Steps with Kim Ode on YouTube & Facebook
- March 31, Live at Noon: Lunch and Learn: Birch Bark Weaving Live Stream with Beth Kraus and North House interns Nia Zekan & Alex Norman Live on Instagram
- April 1, Live at Noon: Lunch and Learn: Hand-Stitched Leather Goods Live Stream with Beth Dow Live on Instagram
- April 2, Live at 7pm CST: At the Forge with Elizabeth Belz Live on Instagram
- April 3: How to Sew on a Button: Photo Tutorial with Tasha Miller Griffith on Facebook
- Monday, April 6: Video: Il Mago by Cecilia Schiller on Facebook
- Tuesday, April 7 at Noon CST, LIVE Event | Lunch and Learn, Hide Tanning with Emily Derke on Instagram and Facebook
- Wednesday, April 8 at Noon CST, LIVE Event | Lunch and Learn: Inside the Jeweler’s Studio with Liz Bucheit on Instagram
- Thursday, April 9 | Video: Scandinavian Folk Art Style Primer: Rosemaling and Dalmalning with Kim Garrett on Facebook and YouTube
- DATE: 7pm CST, LIVE Event | Turning a Bowl from a Log with Jim Sannerud on Instagram, 7pm CST
- Friday, April 10 | Video: Studio Tour: Marybeth Garmoe on Facebook and YouTube
New video schedule announced weekly on Fridays via their free e-newsletter. You can also join the conversation by posting about what you are working on by using #stillcrafting on Instagram. Craft Kits are available for purchase through their online store and enrollment for upcoming classes is still open.
About North House Folk School
North House Folk School is an educational non-profit whose mission is to enrich lives and build community by teaching traditional northern crafts in a student-centered learning environment that inspires the hands, the heart and the mind. Located on the harbor in Grand Marais, Minnesota, North House Folk School is rooted in the traditions of northern culture, materials, and stories. Over 400 courses are offered each year, along with seven special events and thematic weekends. Hands-on public demonstrations and sails on the schooner The Hjordis are offered seasonally. See www.northhourse.org for more information.
About Visit Cook County
Visit Cook County encompasses the northeastern Minnesota communities of Lutsen, Tofte, Schroeder, Grand Marais, the Gunflint Trail and Grand Portage, commonly referred to as “the Arrowhead” and the “North Shore of Lake Superior”. Grand Marais, Minn., has earned several national accolades — most recently it was named USA Today’s Best Midwestern Small Town, Outside Magazine’s The 16 Best Places to Live in the U.S. 2016, and Budget Travel’s 2015 Coolest Small Town in America. Rekindle your sense of adventure by exploring the Superior National Forest or paddling through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Discover what makes the communities of Cook County, Minn. “Naturally Unforgettable.” Connect on social media using #donorthmn, Twitter @CookCoVisitors, Facebook, or Instagram @donorthmn. Learn more at www.visitcookcounty.com.
Linda Jurek | Visit Cook County
Phone#: 218.387.2788 ext. 101
Joe Beres | North House Folk School
Phone #: 218.387.9762
Kjersti Vick firstname.lastname@example.org