Arts & Culture In Cook County
Discover North Shore Art in Cook County
Artists and artisans thrive on the natural inspiration. The rugged northern Minnesota landscape nourishes the vibrant Ojibwe culture of Grand Portage, inspires the North Shore art for which Grand Marais and the rest of Cook County are renowned; creates a dramatic stage to the lively winter music scene in Lutsen-Tofte-Schroeder and connects the past to the present just as the Gunflint Trail connects the North Shore of Lake Superior to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
Typically, the history of a region is reserved for museums and history books. That’s not the case in Cook County. Here, our history is alive, well and present to this day. Perhaps that’s why the historic hubs of trading and pioneer life are now vibrant centers of commerce, art and recreation. Our museums and galleries are just steps away from breathtaking lakes, waterfalls, mountains, Lake Superior vistas and miles of hiking trails.
Planning your trip for the Fall? Check out the Art Along the Lake: Fall Studio Tour
Here are some ways to feed your own sense of inspiration and connection with North Shore art:
- Celebrate Art Along the Lake with our Gallery Guide and Memorial Weekend Activities
- Take a class or watch artists and crafters at work at North House Folk School or the Grand Marais Art Colony
- Cook County Historical Society with multiple sites in the Grand Marais area
- Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center at the end of the Gunflint Trail, formerly Chik-Wauk Lodge
- Grand Portage State Park and Exhibit Hall and Grand Portage National Monument Heritage Center: During the second full weekend in August, celebrate the rich heritage of the Grand Portage community with Rendezvous Days and the Rendezvous Powwow
- Cross River Heritage Center in Schroeder brings local heritage and culture to life
- For a glimpse into the past commercial fishing on Lake Superior: Tofte Commercial Fishing Museum
- Drive the scenic Gunflint Trail Scenic Byway
- Take the Cook County, Minnesota historical tour
- Attend a play or musical at the Grand Marais Playhouse, or a festival or other arts and music event
- Enjoy a concert or special performing arts group at the Arrowhead Center for the Arts in Grand Marais hosted by the North Shore Music Association
- Listen to Cook County updates and stories on WTIP: North Shore Community Radio
CELEBRATE ART WITH ONE OF OUR ART EVENTS.
Don’t just visit Cook County. Experience it like a pro with the hottest deals in the state. We’ve worked with our local vendors, artisans and owners to curate the best prices and most unique packages for our out-of-town visitors. Check out our hot deals today.
Pet Friendly Adventures
With so many dog-friendly activities and a wealth of lodging options that welcome canine family members and pet-loving locals everywhere you turn…
You’ll find all kinds of fantastic places to eat in the four communities of Cook County, Minnesota: Lutsen-Tofte-Schroeder, Grand Marais, the…
Experiencing new things, seeing new places and trying new restaurants are always at the top of a vacation to-do list.
Workshops & Classes
Adventure comes in many shapes and sizes, and in Cook County, MN, you can experience the full spectrum.
Museums & History
Discover Cook County history with every step you take. We’re proud of our long history and heritage and we think you will be too.
Imagine a two-mile hike and not a single “She’s touching meeee.” On our trails, you’re far more likely to hear: “Oh…
Planning your wilderness adventure starts here. We’re your source for northern Minnesota tourism information and guidance.