There’s nothing quite like a November gale — wind howling, icy waves lashing the rocks, a shiver of awe running down your spine. Treat yourself to a storm-season retreat before the bedlam of the holidays begins. This event honors the power and wild beauty of the Big Lake.
The inaugural Lake Superior Storm Festival was a smashing success! Thank you to the hundreds of event participants and many businesses that joined us in celebrating the power and beauty of the Big Lake.
We are already hard at work planning the 2014 festival. In the meantime, take a peek at the 2013 activity schedule below to get an idea of the happenings. And check out this video of Lake Superior waves exploding against the Grand Marais breakwall just a few days after the festival.
- Cook County Visitors Bureau staff
A look back at November 7-10, 2013 for the inaugural Lake Superior Storm Festival — a celebration of Superior’s wild side.
Thurs, Nov. 7
6 p.m. Storm Surfing on the North Shore
Lake Superior waves can be big, beautiful, and eminently surfable — to those with the skills and the fortitude, that is. Come catch a bite to eat while Randy Carlson, Kayak/Canoe/Surf/Kite Program Coordinator at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and a veteran North Shore surfer, shares the history, science and art of catching a freshwater wave.
@ Harbor House Grille, Grand Marais
Fri, Nov. 8
6:30-9 p.m. Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply’s Taking Fashion by Storm
Make merry and be inspired by the latest fall outdoor and lifestyle styles. Fashion shenanigans begin at 7:15. Wine, cheese and sweets provided. Be sure to register for fabulous prizes like a Stormy Kromer hat, storm-friendly undergarments, storm-proof boots, and more.
@ Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply, Grand Marais
5-8 p.m. Storm Programming on WTIP Radio – Maritime History and Call-In Themed Trivia
Tune your radio to 90.7 FM or click to WTIP.org to hear author and Great Lakes maritime history expert Frederick Stonehouse as a guest on The Roadhouse. Then enjoy a special themed edition of Small Change, Cook County’s own live call-in trivia show. Think you know the answer? Call 218-387-1070 to play.
Sat, Nov. 9
10. a.m.-2 p.m. Paint the Lake (for Kids!)
Bring your kids and your creativity to this kid-oriented studio session, where you’ll create a painted craft inspired by Lake Superior.
@ The Garage, Grand Marais
11 a.m. Wave Dash
You’ve probably heard of a “polar plunge.” Wave Dash takes the idea one step further — literally. You don’t just dunk in Lake Superior — you run into it.
That’s right. Take a quick, chilly dash into Lake Superior, contribute to a good cause, and win bragging rights for life, a long sleeve festival t-shirt and a special festival gift. Afterward, warm up with cocoa and a roaring fire. Changing rooms, towels and refreshments provided.
@ Lutsen Resort, Lutsen
Suggested $10 donation benefits the Cook County Food Shelf and Cook County Community YMCA scholarship fund for swimming and lifeguard lessons.
1 p.m. The White Hurricane of 1913
In a suite overlooking Lake Superior, hear local expert Jim Shinners tell the story of the deadliest storm in Great Lakes history while indulging in Boreal Cyclone Pie from the Pie Place Cafe!
@ Lutsen Resort, Lutsen
4 p.m. Seasons of the North Shore
By the East Bay in Grand Marais, photographer Paul Sundberg will share images and stories of the North Shore, highlighting wildlife, scenery and — of course — storms.
@ East Bay Suites, Grand Marais
7 p.m. Superior Songwriters Shindig
An open mic night featuring the music of the Big Lake. Enjoy themed drinks and specials, too.
P.S. Calling all musicians (amateurs welcome)! Bring your instrument and perform a song inspired by Lake Superior and receive a free StormFest long sleeve festival t-shirt or logo fleece beanie. Original songs highly encouraged.
@ Location: Cascade Lodge Restaurant & Pub, near Grand Marais
Plus more live music
Sun, Nov. 10
Noon-6 p.m. Beacon Lighting to Commemorate the Loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald
@ Split Rock Lighthouse, Two Harbors
Whether the lake is stormy or serene, we invite you to:
- Tune your radio to WTIP Radio (90.7 FM) or listen online for special storm-themed programming
- Build Your Own Lighthouse contest at East Bay Suites, Grand Marais
- Check out the mysterious storm painting, and experience the Dark and Stormy Night Story Corner at Threads, Grand Marais
- Sample special-edition fudge at Gunflint Mercantile, Grand Marais
- Indulge in a new pie: Boreal Cyclone (created especially for StormFest!) Whipped Peanut Butter Mousse on Chocolate Ganache & Pretzel crumb crust, topped with Whipped Cream, pretzel sticks and peanuts! at The Pie Place Cafe, Grand Marais
- Complete the StormFest scavenger hunt (pick up brochures at the Visitor Information Centers in Grand Marais and Tofte)
- Explore the Storm-Lover’s Book Display at the Grand Marais Public Library — your cozy port in the storm.
- See the “Frozen Photographers” exhibit at Johnson Heritage Post and the Members Show at the Grand Marais Art Colony
- Make a reindeer-leather Saami friendship bracelet or other traditional northern craft with a workshop at North House Folk School
- Hike to a spectacular Superior vista
- And more!