Guided Tours & Rides
We have a feeling that one important factor in your choice of visiting our fabulous destination is the many different activities and unique places to explore. You may follow someone on Instagram that posts about our area and decided you need to experience it for yourself. Cook County offers many options to help you get the maximum experience with Guided Activities or Programming. We’ve organized a list of some of our favorite things to do and the experts to help us fully enjoy them.
GUIDED ACTIVITIES AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE!
Guided Adventures & Tours
In addition to our experienced Outfitters who offer an array of guided Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness experiences, there are a number of other guided activities from sea kayaking on Lake Superior to dogsledding adventures to e-bike tours on the Gitchi-Gami bike trail.
Horseback Riding & Sleigh Rides
The riding season generally runs from May to October. There are a wide variety of horses that range from Quarter Horses to Arabians and everything in between. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, there is a horse for you at the stable. The talented wranglers are great at teaming you up with a horse that fits your needs. The many hours spent on the trails together creates a deep bond between wrangler and horse. Join them for a ride and bond with a horse of your own as you enjoy the marvels that await you around each corner of our beautiful trails.
- 143 S Gunflint Lake Road
Summer adventures include the Towering Pines Canopy Tour zip line, Gunflint Riding Stables, Boundary Waters canoe outfitting, fishing guides, and boat and motor rental. Upland game hunts, moose calling, mountain biking and photo wildlife and birding safaris are available in the…
Cruise around on the Gitchi-Gami bike trail or on the backroads. Cook County has loads of trails to explore.
Dog Sled Tours
Of the unique to our area experiences, dogsled tours are at the top of the list!
- Mindful Paddling and Hiking Tours What are “Mindful” Paddling and Hiking Tours? Not paddling hard or fast, or slinging the heaviest pack on your back, but being present to the experience; taking time in nature to see, hear, smell, taste and feel along the way. Slow things down; bring your camera, and be willing to be dazzled.
- Women’s Adventures This off-grid adventure is for those who want to actively participate in every aspect of their experience with the highlight being learning to run your own small team of sled dogs on miles and miles of beautiful trails in the remote wilderness of northern Minnesota.
- River Canyon Snow Treks The North Woods best kept winter secrets – the river canyons – difficult to access in the summer, become fabulous snowshoe trails in winter. Find a guide who can take you there.
RESORTS AND LODGES THAT OFFER GUIDED ACTIVITIES FOR GUESTS
Many resorts offer their own guided programs for guests, or provide the detailed information and equipment you need to feel confident to explore on your own. Some also offer educational programs on the Nature of our Region and what you may spot on your own during your stay. Check out the programming at these fine resorts:
Guided Guest Activities & Programs:
- BLUEFIN BAY FAMILY OF RESORTS
- CARIBOU HIGHLANDS LODGE
- EAGLE RIDGE RESORT
- EAST BAY SUITES
- GUNFLINT LODGE
- LUTSEN RESORT
- NANIBOUJOU LODGE
- SKYPORT LODGE
- Many Gunflint Trail lodges and other cabin rentals include watercraft and fishing guides or information: GUNFLINT TRAIL LODGING
FIND RIDE & GUIDE PROVIDERS
Don’t just visit Cook County. Experience it like a pro with the hottest deals in the state. We’ve worked with our local vendors, artisans and owners to curate the best prices and most unique packages for our out-of-town visitors. Check out our hot deals today.
Dramatic, mountainous terrain and the endless beauty of Lake Superior all in one incredible place. These mountains hold endless opportunities for…
The Towering Pines Canopy Tour at Gunflint Lodge, located 43 miles up the Gunflint Trail, is one of the most fun things to do in Minnesota!