Cook County, Minnesota is home to the largest cross-country trail network in North America, totaling over 400 km. There is also spectacularly scenic snowshoeing for the whole family.
Skiers between the ages of 16 and 64, using non-Federal trails, must purchase a Minnesota State Ski Pass, or, if skiing on Central of Upper Gunflint Trails, a Ski Ticket. The fees help maintain trails and ensure that future maintenance will be of the highest quality. A pass may be purchased for the day or on an annual basis.
The cross-country skiing trail systems in Lutsen-Tofte-Schroeder, Grand Marais, the Gunflint Trail, and Grand Portage:
Lutsen – Tofte – Schroeder Area Trails | 153.2km
- #1 Sugarbush Trail System, Tofte, 77km. Publicly maintained. Mountains and Lake Superior views.
Download printable map: Sugarbush Trail System XC Ski Map Cook County MN.
- #2 Lutsen Mountains, Lutsen 3km. Privately maintained, trail pass from Lutsen Mountains required. Call Lutsen Mountains for updated grooming report.
- #3 & #4 Norpine – Hall-Massie /Cascade / Deer Yard Trail System, Lutsen, 85.2km. Publicly maintained. Groomer’s report. Some beginner-friendly trails. Adjacent to Cascade River State Park system.
- Download printable map: Norpine: Lutsen-Hall-Massie Trail Map and Norpine: Deer Yard Lake Cascade River XC Ski Trail Map Cook County MN.
Grand Marais Area Trails | 52.9km
- #5 Bally Creek Trails, Grand Marais, 25 km. Publicly maintained. Download printable map: Bally Creek Ski Trails.
- #6 Pincushion Mountain Trail System, Grand Marais, 25 km. Publicly maintained. Mountainside trails beside Lake Superior.
Download printable map: Pincushion XC Ski Trail Map Cook County MN.
- #7 George Washington Memorial Forest, Grand Marais, 3 km. Publicly maintained. Download printable map: George Washington Pine Ski Trail.
Gunflint Trail Area Trails | 182.8 km
- #8 Central Gunflint Trail System, Gunflint Trail, 70 km. Privately maintained. Well-groomed trails amongst wildness.
Download printable map: Central Gunflint Trail XC Ski Map Cook County MN.
- #9 Banadad Trail System, Gunflint Trail, 43 km. Publicly maintained. Winds through the BWCAW, connects with Central Gunflint Trail System.
Download printable map: Banadad Ski Trail (West) and Banadad Ski Trail (East)
- #10 Upper Gunflint Trail System, Gunflint Trail, 70 km. Privately maintained. Wild beauty, spectacular views and roller-coaster terrain.
Download printable map: Upper-Gunflint-Trail-XC-Ski-Trail-Map-Cook-County-MN.pdf.
Whether you’re an expert looking to stretch your legs and skills, a family hungry for some outdoor winter togetherness, or a couple looking for a romantic ski through the trees, the perfect path of well-groomed corduroy awaits you. Watch our winter adventure video for inspiration.
Ski you soon!