Art Along the Lake: Fall Studio Tour
September 28 - October 7
The Art Along the Lake: Fall Studio Tour will feature a variety of unique handcrafted works created in Cook County.
Fall in Cook County is a time of tumultuous beauty, so take some time to explore the colors and meet artists during the Fall Studio Tour! Stops include home studios as well as galleries with guest artists. All locations will be open daily, from 10am-5pm, with a few special Fall Studio Tour events scheduled outside of these hours.
The Art Along the Lake Fall Studio tour is the second of two seasonal Art Along the Lake events here in Cook County and has replaced the Crossing Borders Tour which had been ongoing for 20 years. Read more about that transition here.
Plan your whole fall vacation around the Fall Studio Tour:
2018 Gallery & Studio Locations:
- Jason Trebs | 163 High Ridge Drive, Schroeder | Jason creates handmade functional ceramics for use in your home. Come see the new studio and kilns and tour the Lake Superior coastal reforestation project and enjoy the new work it has inspired.
- Mary Jane Huggins | 7197 Bayview Drive, Tofte, Mile Marker 83 | Inspired from Lake Superior and the woods, Mary Jane has been involved in creating baskets and art from elements of nature for over 35 years.
- Mueller Studio | 17 Railroad Drive, Lutsen | Muller Studio (formerly Last Chance Fabrication) will host public bronze pours at 4:00pm on Saturdays, September 29th, and October 6th.
- Kari Vick, Ink | 5304 West Highway 61 | Kari’s paintings, etchings and book illustrations (“Seven Ways to Trick a Troll”) conjure visual stories, old , new and yet to be.
- Clay Phoenix Ceramics | 100 Isak Ridge, Lutsen | Maggie Anderson makes functional and decorative/sculptural pottery using primarily porcelain clay. Her work is fired in both oxidation and raku. Guest Artists: Mary Bebie, glass art; Rebecca Wicklund; silver jewelry.
- KFox Studio | 4640 Cascade Beach Road, Lutsen | Kathy Fox Weinberg, painter, finds inspiration on the North Shore. Visitors to KFox Studio will learn from her easel demonstrations.
- Kah-Nee-Tah Gallery | 4210 Highway 61, Lutsen, Mile Marker 97 | Kah-Nee-Tah features Minnesota-made & regionally created artwork, paintings, prints and unique handcrafted items. Guest Artists: Tim Young, acrylic painter; Nedra Nicholls, batiks; Greg Murphy, oil painter; Laura Nelson, fiber artist/weaving.
- Frykman Art Studio & Art of the Elements Gallery | 306 County Road 44, Grand Marais | An exploration in glass, metal, wood and stone. Frykman Studio features Steve’s forge, Sharon’s kilns, a gallery and a sculpture garden. Guest Artists: Hazel Belvo, painter; Paul Bondhus, stone sculptor; Natalie Sobanja, ceramic potter; Brittany Foster, silver jewelry; Martye Allen, clay sculptor; John Books, bronze sculptor.
- Jeanne Hedstrom | 817 West 1st Street, Grand Marais | using the northern landscape as a reference point, Jeanne’s imagery recalls not only visited lands, but ventures toward abstraction as well. Small animal studies are included in her daily painting routine.
- Grand Marais Art Colony | 120 West 3rd Avenue, Grand Marais | offering art classes for all levels and professional artist studios. Take a tour, meet artists, and visit the Gallery Store featuring original work. Guest Artists: Kathy Reeves, ceramics; Joan Farnam, ceramics; Bob Tamanaha, ceramics: Kari Carter, ceramics; Natalie Sobanja, ceramics; Nancy Seaton, glass; Melissa Grover, glass.
- Johnson Heritage Post | 115 West Wisconsin Street, Grand Marais, The JHP Art Gallery is a non-profit gallery hosting exhibitions by regional and national artists (past and present) in Cook County as well as featuring a permanent collection year round.
- Yellow Bird Fine Art | 101 West Highway 61, Grand Marais | Sculptor Ron Piercy creates custom silver jewelry daily in his working studio. He also exhibits in his gallery paintings, sculpture and contemporary craft from a variety of materials. Guest Artist: Paula Gustafson, oil painter.
- Upstate MN | 16 1st Avenue West, Grand Marais | Offering contemporary items created by smaller makers, designers, and artists from Minnesota and beyond. Guest Artist: Andy Ness, painter.
- The Big Lake | 12 1st Avenue West, Grand Marais | Unique art, jewelry, craft and gifts that reflect the beauty, personality and culture of Lake Superior’s North Shore. Guest Artist: Hanna Plama Laky, ceramics.
- Sivertson Gallery | 14 West Wisconsin Street, Grand Marais | Sivertson Gallery, art of the north, open every day, all year long since 1980, featuring local and regional artists along with artists from the far north.
- Betsy Bowen Gallery & Studios | 301 West 1st Avenue, Grand Marais | Original woodblock prints that honor the creatures, birds and folklore of the north woods and Lake Superior.
- Nace Hagemann | 108 Gunflint Trail, Grand Marais | The chance to photograph wild animals is what drives Nace to get out with his camera every chance he gets.
- Jo Wood | 357 County Road 14, Grand Marais | Jo’s hand-stitched bead and felt images are inspired by the life and land of the North Shore. Guest Artist: Jake Carr, woodworker.
- Neil Sherman | 4194 County Road 69, Hovland | Neil is primarily a plein air painter, working on location, and often uses those paintings for reference to complete larger studio paintings.
- Dan & Lee Ross | 4678 East Highway 61, Hovland, Mile Marker 127 | Sculpture walk plus gallery on Lake Superior featuring stone and ceramic sculpture also mono prints. Enjoy new work in the landscape that inspired it.
- Lou Pignolet | 20 Tamarack Trail, Hovland, Mile Marker 132, Lakeside | Lou makes artist natural-edged bowls, handmade on a lathe from local wood, and will be demonstrating and displaying his art in his shop/gallery.
- Joy and Co. | 16 1st Avenue West, Grand Marais | Joy and Company offers a fusion of Artwork/Antique items with a focus on North Shore made artwork and photography. Come stop in for a look at new artist pieces and an ever-changing inventory of art supplies, vintage items, locally crafted jewelry, and antiques.