Cook County Family Vacation
They’re only little for a while. Make big memories on family vacations in Cook County. On our trails, kids of all ages become naturalists and explorers, investigating, taking in all the details and asking great questions about the environment. These experiences are eye-opening, transformative and, most importantly, fun. Strengthen your family unit with time spent together in Cook County.
While we can’t promise the kids will behave 100% of the time, we can promise so much family fun that they won’t run out of things to do on vacation. That’s the beauty of traveling to Lutsen, Tofte and Schroeder, Grand Marais, the Gunflint Trail and Grand Portage: there’s something fun for every family at any time of the year. We invite you to unplug, reconnect and recharge in a place where the tweets come from actual birds.
Top 7 Family Vacation Adventures
- Explore the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). Learn more about canoe trip outfitting and prepare to take your family on a wilderness camping adventure they’ll never forget.
- Visit Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center. Attend a naturalist program at the resort and campground locations throughout the county and expand your knowledge of the wonders of our great state.
- Drive the beautiful North Shore Scenic Drive along Lake Superior to Grand Portage State Park. Then take a break and a short, barrier-free hike to see High Falls—the highest waterfall in Minnesota.
- Look for agates on Lake Superior public beaches. Check out Sugarloaf Point at Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center in Schroeder for a chance to spot these amazing gems.
- Visit unique and thrilling attractions like the Towering Pines Canopy Tour at Gunflint Lodge or the amazing gondola Mountain Tram and the Alpine Slide at Lutsen Mountains.
- Take a guided hike, canoe paddle, rock climbing adventure, or kayak and stand-up paddleboard tour with our experts ready to share all our natural world has to offer.
- Experience the winter season together on snowshoes or cross-country skis, spend the day at Lutsen Mountains, or cozy up in a lodge with board games by the fire.
- Enjoy family-friendly festivals and events throughout the year like the Fisherman’s Picnic and Moose Madness or the Pincushion Family Festival.